Sunday, February 7, 2016

A Day with No Words

Since you learned to read, have you ever gone an entire day without reading?

A day without reading is not something that I thought about until a colleague forwarded the following YouTube video to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRZxZsMd5jw

Since I watched this video, I have tried to imagine how I could create a day where I would not read anything at all.

I enjoy camping. Now my camping consists of days in a camper in a national or state campground with nice paved spots.

I do remember tent camping. It was great to be away from people and civilization, but everywhere I camped, there were posted policies and signs that explained rules and told me how to get places.

Even in the most rural place I can imagine camping, there would be some words, somewhere. Even if there were no words in the environment, all of the camping gear would have labels and instructions.

According to the Room to Read, 1 in 7 adults across the globe cannot read.

Statistic Brain Research Institute reported in 2013 that 32 million adults in the US cannot read above a basic level. That is about 14% of adults,

The Literacy Project Foundation explains:
  • Illiteracy has become such a serious problem in our country that 44 million adults are now unable to read a simple story to their children
  • 50% of adults cannot read a book written at an eighth grade level
  • 45 million are functionally illiterate and read below a 5th grade level
  • 44% of the American adults do not read a book in a year
  • 6 out of 10 households do not buy a single book in a year
Teachers work everyday to help change these statistics. 




Have you ever gone an entire day without reading anything? Let us know about that day in the comments below.

If you don't want to go a day without reading and are looking for something new to share with your child, click on the It's Monday, What are You Reading? page to find out what others in Lancaster are reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks you for your comment.
a